Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Spotlight on Infertility: Betsy and Gerry

  I'm so happy to bring you another one of my friends from an online chat board. She is so sweet and so supportive of other girls going through the same thing. 


1. You and your significant others names
Betsy and Gerry

 2. How long have you been trying to conceive? 11 months

 3. What stage of Infertility are you in (Natural, Clomid, IUI, IVF)?
We are moving on to IUI with Femara and a trigger shot. I did three rounds of Clomid with timed intercourse and one round of Femara with timed intercourse. I got pregnant on the second round of Clomid but miscarried very early on.

4. What procedures have you gone through to diagnose you and your significant other?
My husband had a semen analysis, which came back within normal ranges, although the count was at the lower end of the normal range. I had tons of blood work, a 2-hour glucose tolerance test and an internal ultrasound. Because I had a natural, uncomplicated miscarriage, my doctor has not made me do an HSG yet.

5. If you have been diagnosed, would you please share?
I have been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance. I was not regularly ovulating on my own. I take metformin for the insulin resistance.

6. Are you seeing an Ob/Gyn or a RE (Reproductive Endocrinologist)
I started off seeing my Ob/Gyn, but I am now seeing an RE.

 7. What supplements are you taking (PNV, Fertile Aid, Etc.)?
I take a prenatal vitamin every day, and I am drinking POM juice. DH takes a variety of vitamins and also drinks POM juice.

8. Are you charting/using ovulation predictors/fertility monitor? If you are charting, would you want to post your chart link?
I charted for quite a while, but since I am now monitored by ultrasound, I've stopped. And ovulation predictors are not necessary when I'll be using a trigger shot.

 9. Have you ever been pregnant before?
Yes, I had a miscarriage at the beginning of August after my second round of Clomid.

 10. What are your plans for your future (infertility treatments, adoption, working with children)?
We plan to keep trying with fertility treatments, and hope we don't have to move on to IVF. If we do, we will try as many times as we can financially handle. My family is extremely supportive, and they will help us as much as they can if the cost of treatment becomes too much for us. If we exhaust all avenues of having our own children, we will move on to adoption. We have both always wanted children, and we can't imagine our future lives without kids. We will make it happen one way or another.

11. Is there anything else you would like to tell us about you?
Our family includes our 15-month-old mutt puppy, Zehavah. She is a big goof, and she brings much-needed comedy relief to our lives!

12. Do you have a blog/website where you talk about your journey? If so, please link here: I don't currently have one.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us, Betsy and Gerry.

Update: After 11 months of TTC, five medicated cycles (three on Clomid, two on Femara) and a miscarriage, I got BFP again. Right now everything looks good, and right now we are cautiously optimistic that this will be our take-home baby. We are hoping and praying that this baby sticks!


If you would like to be featured on the Spotlight on Infertility please email me at domesticprncs@gmail.com.

No comments: