Monday, September 27, 2010

Spotlight on Infertility: Mary & Shane

I've have loved reading everyone's story so far and I'm sure you are just going to love this next couple. They have a very interesting story to tell.

1. You and your significant others names: Mary and Shane

2. How long have you been trying to conceive? 2 ½ years

3. What stage of Infertility are you in (Natural, Clomid, IUI, IVF)? In a blind clinical trial so I might be on Clomid or Letrozole (a breast cancer drug that also helps woman to ovulate)

4. What procedures have you gone through to diagnose you and your significant other? When my husband and I decided that we would like to start a family I went in and spoke with my doctor, I was concerned because I knew my mother had a hard time conceiving she miscarried 3 times and had a tubal pregnancy. After telling the doctor my mom’s infertility stories, and then telling him that I only get a period once or twice a year and am concerned that I have always been “skinny” and fit and that no matter what I do I can’t lose weight he suggested that I get tested for PCOS. The results came back positive for PCOS. My husband was also tested but his results showed him to have super sperm, so luckily we only have to focus on “fixing” me.
During my clinical trials they ran tests to see if I had any tubal blocking so I had a hysterosalpingogram, or HSG test done as well. Although a very painful procedure, the results were fine my tubes are not blocked.

5. If you have been diagnosed, would you please share? They ran a variety of blood tests on me and my androgen levels were very high, they also use your family history and woman with PCOS have a lot of male features because of the high levels of testosterone. I also have the male pattern baldness as well as male facial and body hair. They also did a pelvic exam and a transvaginal ultrasound to see the cysts.

6. Are you seeing an Ob/Gyn or a RE (Reproductive Endocrinologist): With my clinical trials the doctors that run the trials are Ob/Gyns.

7. What supplements are you taking (PNV, Fertile Aid, Etc.)? I use to take PNV but my clinical advisor said taking two Flintstone vitamins with iron worked just as well.

8. Are you charting/using ovulation predictors/fertility monitor? If you are charting, would you want to post your chart link? No

9. Have you ever been pregnant before? Yes, I miscarried at 10 weeks.

10. What are your plans for your future (infertility treatments, adoption, working with children)? I’m currently on my last cycle in my clinical trial, if I do not conceive we are going to take a break from clinical trials and infertility drugs. I might go back on Metformin to control my weight as well until we’re ready to try another trial. I’m 26 and my husband is 25 if we do not conceive on our own by the time we are 35 then we plan on adopting.

11. Is there anything else you would like to tell us about you? There is a lot I can tell, but I wouldn’t know where to start, but I’ll answer any questions anyone my have at m.hesser@hotmail.com (I know eek a hotmail account, I’m old school sorry)

12. Do you have a blog/website where you talk about your journey? If so, please link here: I am currently working on a blog of my journey and all the crazy things that have happened along the way such sitting in a waiting room about to confirm my miscarriage with three pregnant teenagers and one pregnant woman who I put out her cigarette right before she came in and opening up a magazine article that says Jesus loves you…seriously., holding my husband back from knocking out the doctor who decided not only to walk us thru the maternity ward of the hospital on the way to my D and C (a surgery to “clean me out”) but to stop and say “sorry you couldn’t make it this far” was a good idea. Or having the lady at the local dollar store (frugal tip dollar store tests work just as well as those expensive pretty box tests!) convinced that I work at Planned Parenthood and that there is nothing wrong with me coming in month purchasing ovulation kits and pregnancy test in bulk.
Until I have it up and running feel free to follow my on twitter @mhesser

Mary, thank you so much for sharing your story. Good Luck to you and Shane in your TTC Journey. I hope to hear good news from you soon.

If you would like to check out valid clinical trials in your area, go to
http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/.

No comments: