Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Jackson Day 5

 Jackson Day 5 in NICU (2.27.12)

Jackson is making a ton of improvements and it's showing today. You can see our little chunker actually has cheeks and is now 6 pounds 4 ounces. His feedings went from 33 mL bottles to 55 mL bottles today. They only give him 30 minutes to finish a bottle before they push it through his NG Tube. So today he ate 20 mL and 30 mL for us and the rest was pushed. The nurses think that he will get stronger with his sucking over time.

Platelets are still unstable. After his transfusion yesterday his platelets went up to 90,000 but this morning his platelets went back down to 34,000. They did another platelet draw at 5 pm today and they were at 45,000. So we are going to wait for another platelet draw tomorrow morning and the doctors will make a plan from there.


Sugars are staying stable today and we are so excited about this. It's the small victories we are happy about. Jackson is on a sugar fluid mixture to help his blood sugar and they need to decrease the amount of fluid he is getting. They have been slowly decreasing that since yesterday and increasing his feeding amount. Hoping this will help his blood sugar regulate on its own. We are so happy that this is exactly what is happening. He had multiple readings (56, 64, 80) that were over the minimum 45 they will allow.


Day 5 was my hardest Mommy day. I wanted to kidnap my own kid from NICU. I couldn't leave without him. We arrived at the hospital at about 1:30 pm and about 7 pm I started to be in a lot of pain from my c-section and the drugs were not working. We left but I had a two anxiety attacks on the way home. Leaving your child every day (even though I know he's in great hands) is the hardest thing I've ever done. I wake up in the middle of the night and my first thought is him. I call the NICU a lot to check on him. I'm luck all of his nurses are the most amazing people are used to dealing with hormonal and tired mama's.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing isn't it...how much your life changes with a tiny little person? Best wishes for a quick homecoming.

-Andrea

Do I Have to Be a D.I.N.K.? said...

I am happy to hear that he is doing better every day!

The Domestic Princess said...

Thank you for all the awesome comments :)

Sarah said...

He is so cute! Glad to hear he is doing much better!!

The Domestic Princess said...

Thank you Sarah, we think so too ;)

Amy G. said...

What a cutie! Keeping him in my thoughts and prayers!

Amy G. said...

What a cutie! Keeping him in my thoughts and prayers!