Monday, February 27, 2012

Jackson Day 1-3

Jackson Day 1-3 in NICU (2.22.12-2.25.12)

The night I had Jackson we didn't get a room until midnight. So Chris and I had been up for almost 24 hours at that point. We were exhausted. Chris went to check on Jackson in the nursery and was gone for 30 minutes. I thought he was just enjoying his son for a little bit. But Chris came back with some bad news.

Jackson was not doing great. They had to put him on a CPAP machine to help his breathing, his blood sugar was down, his platelets were low and he was transferred to NICU. The nurses promised Chris that they would call with any change and sent him back to the room to tell me and get some rest. All I wanted to do was hold my son and I couldn't get out of bed.

I was so drugged up, it didn't take me long to go to sleep. At 4 am, the nurse came in to give me more medicine and to see if I could get up. She told me if I got up they would put me in a wheelchair and take me to NICU. I didn't care what I had to do, I was going to see my son. This picture is from 4 am when I held Jackson for the first time.

As the day went on Jackson just got worse. Every time we visited they found something else that was going down. Day 2 was almost the same.

Our first family photo

I was terrified of losing my miracle child. I still am! He is the most amazing thing that has happened to Chris and I.

Day 3 brought a little bit more positive news for all of us. Jackson came off his CPAP machine at 6 am and his oxygen saturation stayed at 100% all day. But his platelets were still low so he ended up having a platelet transfusion in the evening. Also, the IV in his tummy had to be moved to his head.

Chris and I were discharged from the hospital on Day 3. This was the hardest thing we had to do. We left our son at the hospital. Then watched all the other Moms and Dads on the way out give us "the look." It was horrible. We cried the whole way home. 


Morgan said...

my mom also had to leave us at the hospital and at the time my parents only had one car and my dad couldn't take any time off from work so my mom couldn't just go visit us and she said she would suddenly feel frantic and really want to see us and not be able to do anything until my dad got home.

And complications or not, I worry every day about Sam--what if I get in a car accident, what if I drop him, am I doing absolutely everything to reduce the risk of SIDS--and I fear I might feel this way most of his life!

I can't wait for him to get to come home and experience all the thoughtfulness you guys have in store for him!!!

Anonymous said...

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Hope you get to take your baby boy home soon.


Heather said...

Keeping your family and Jackson in my prayers. Congrats, mama!

Amy G. said...

Keeping you and your baby boy in my prayers!

Amy G. said...

Keeping you and your baby boy in my prayers!