Thursday, January 14, 2010

Money Tip: How to save an extra $100 a month

Christopher and I have set some high money saving goals this year. So, I thought it would be good to start including some of the things we're doing to save money here. We work off of a budget, as I'm sure most families do.

I created an Excel spreadsheet a few years ago and every pay period I update the spreadsheet. Here's an example of what we use:

(In my Dream World this is what we make every two weeks)

At the beginning of the year we set a goal that we wanted to pay off the car and save $6k by the end of the year. In order to do that we had to start cutting our budget in certain places.

So, how do you save $100 a month? We took one of our "eat out" days a week and cut it out. Usually when we go out to eat dinner can range from $20-50. If we do this every week, that is a savings of $80-200 a month. That adds up quickly doesn't it?

I'll will be adding money saving tips as we head on our journey to meet our financial goals. I hope you like this new feature. I love to hear from you guys!



5 comments:

mrs.messi said...

Good for you guys! I've been meaning to start using a similar spreadsheet forever!

Kate @ Twenty-Six 2 Life said...

We're hoping to make big money strides this year too. We use mint.com which is working pretty well so far. We don't eat out very often but it still adds up quickly! We're going to cut back on that too and hopefully we'll see it add up in our bank account!

The Domestic Princess said...

Thanks for the great tip Kate. I'll have to check that out

blueloom said...

Hello Christy

Congratulations on your new home. We bought ours in 2005 and have been busy renovating, decorating, and when we are not doing that, we try to go away to relax. We also started our blog just 3 weeks ago. We are amazed how many great blogs are out there.

Greetings from Canada

Unknown said...

Me and my hubby use a very similar system. One of the ways we found to save money was stop renting so many movies on our PVR. And unless its a really FX driven movie we dont rent the HD versions