Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Interview with Jehan Evette


Jehan Evette is a local photographer in Columbus, Ohio. She has an amazing eye for capturing the moment. I was lucky enough to catch an interview with her last week.


1. Tell us a little bit about Evette? I create and design many things. Probably too many..But there's something about design and creativity that is very relaxing for me. I have a 12 year old son who also shares a love for creating and is eagerly awaiting for me to get a second camera so that he can shoot with me.


2. Did you go to school to study photography? I took b&w photography in high school and over the years continued to practice. It wasn't until college when I had to take photography classes for my graphic design course work that I was re-introduced to the world of photography.



3. When did you start taking an interest in photography? I was given a 110 camera when I was 8 years old and took it everywhere with me. I have boxes of pictures I need to put into albums. But I captured so much of myself, friends, family, etc. Its fun to look back on the memories and how much I have grown.



4. What is your style as a photographer? I have a "journalism" style of photography. I like to capture the moment instead of everything being so posed and structured. When I take portraits I have to some what pose my subjects. So I watch what they do naturally and then add a little bit of a pose to compliment their style.



5. What equipment do you use? I shoot with a Nikon D60 DSLR. I love love love my camera. Alot of people ask why I don't have a Canon..I guess to some people Canon is better..But I've always shot with Nikons and think they do an excellent job.What are your favorite things to shoot? Nature/People? I love shooting people. There will always be nature to shoot. Capturing a moment is priceless.



6. What is your favorite shoot? Why My favorite shoot was a shoot I did for a friend's tshirt company. Everyone was so full of energy and really excited about the success of the tshirts as well as the supporting images of the site (http://www.athleteshirts.com/)



7. What are some of the challenging aspects of photography? Outdoor photography is always tricky because you have to deal with so many different factors. Its like just as soon as you get your lighting perfect here comes a cloud and you have to adjust your settings to adapt to the light.



8. How do you stay up on trends in the industry? (Websites, classes, etc) I am constantly looking on the internet and will probably take a class here and there just to stay up on information and techniques. You can never know too much.



9. When doing a shoot, what is your main focus? The model, the fashion, the technical aspects? While doing a shoot I have to focus on all three factors. That's what makes a good photographyer. The fashion has to look good so that it compliments your model. The model has to be posed in a way that compliments the lighting and the clothing they are wearing. The lighting is key to the difference between a good photo and an excellent photo. You have to have a plan when positioning your lighting.



10. How do you feel about the use of Photoshop or any other photo editing software? Do you use it? Do you like it? I love Photoshop. I think it has so many advantages as far as editing photos. Who wouldn't want the ability to be able to clean up a little acne in their photos or create a one of a kind photo?



11. Do you have any people you look up to? Photographers? I am a fan of one of my instructors work. He was hard on us, but I understood that he was that way because he wanted us to pay attention to our work and take our shoots to the next level.



12. Who would you love to work with in the future? Models? Stylists? That's a good question...I think ultimately I like to take photos of the undiscovered. So many people photograph celebrities, etc. I like to get fresh new faces.



13. Do you Blog? Why or Why not? Currently I do not blog. My schedule can be hectic at times. Going forward I would like to blog and share soem of my experiences and knowledge in photography with others.



14. What advice would you give someone who is interested in photography and wants to improve their skills?For someone that wants to learn photography I would advise them to check out classes at their local college or their local photography store. I would also recommend buying books that will help with posing and tips.



If you would like to check out Evette she has a website: http://www.docuventphotography.com/

No comments: